Sleeping Facts Based on Researches
- At least 40 million Americans suffer from sleeping disorders of 70 types every year.
- 95% of people with sleeping disorders remain untreated and end up with major physical and psychological diseases.
- 69% of children around the world suffer from sleeping problems at least thrice a week.
- Women have more sleeping problems than men.
Sleep Optimization Guidelines
- Eat at least 5 hours before going to the bed.
- Exercise daily for at least 30 minutes. Bring your body in a state in which it would need rest. You will need this practice to make night sleep your habit. Afterwards, you will automatically become dizzy on your fixed sleep time.
- Quit smoking and alcohol. If you cannot quit, then at least reduce their quantity. Don’t take alcohol, tobacco or carbon containing drink or product at least 4 hours before going to bed.
- Go to the bed one hour before your sleep time. It will help you develop a habit of night sleep.
- Reduce the quantity of caffeine in your routine.
- Adopt a habit of meditation.
- Adopt stress relaxation exercises and habits.
- Expose your skin to the sun for at least 15 minutes daily. The exposure should be direct and before 10 A.M or after 4 P.M.
- Sleep in a light cloth to let your skin breathe.
- Stop working 2 hours before your bedtime. It will help your mind to transform from an active hardworking state to a relax state.
- Put a few drops of fresh lemon on your pillow 10 minutes before going to bed.
Foods That Help You Develop A Good Night Sleep
- Omega 3 and vitamin B12 rich foods, for example fish
- Carbohydrate rich foods, for example Jasmine rice
- Vitamin C rich foods, for example lemons and oranges
- Calcium and fatty acid rich foods, for example yogurt
- Fiber rich foods, for example whole grains
- Vitamin B6 rich foods, for example bananas and fortified cereals
- Chamomile tea is one of the best treatment for sleeplessness. Boil 1 teaspoon of dry chamomile and 1 teaspoon of fresh chamomile in 1 cup of water and drink as tea.
- Valerian is effective in controlling the hormones of the body which keep the brain active. Too much excited hormones can also be a cause of sleeplessness. Also, Valerian maintains the production of melatonin, an effective secretion for sleep.
- The petals of passion flower can also be boiled in a cup of water and taken as tea. You can also mix some passion flower petals in your bathing water and take a bath with this water before going to bed. It is a good solution for insomnia as well.
- The Role of Vitamin B6
- Vitamin B6 is naturally found in several foods. Vitamin B6 is very important for insomnia people and people with deprived sleep. Vitamin B6 produces melatonin in the body which is a hormone secretion and helps the body in getting a sound sleep.